Monday, August 4, 2008

Olivia's Pick--27 July 2008

Without a doubt, Olivia's pick for this week--maybe for the whole year--is Birthday Parties. Specifically those held in her honor. This weekend, the backyard was packed with kids indulging in our Messy Art Party. By the end of the afternoon, children were wandering around in sugar-induced hazes, caked with frosting and paint, diapers sagging from splashing in the pool. From the sunshine to the pinata to the cupcakes to the Pollock-rivaling masterpiece the kids created, the day was simply perfect. And everytime I caught Olivia's eye, she would meet my gaze with that smile that makes me melt.

A couple of months ago, we were considering not throwing a birthday party at all. She's young and won't remember, we rationalized. But then I spoke to a wise and wonderful Mama I know and she reminded me how few moments there are in life for us to truly celebrate, and that we should take advantage of each one.

Boy, am I glad we did.

No comments: