Monday, August 25, 2008

Olivia's Pick--17 August 2008

Apart from my absurdly cute little nephew and his (only slightly less cute) parents, we are separated by hundreds and hundreds of miles from our extended families. Now that we have a family of our own, this is less fun than ever. We are, however, blessed with families who will travel, who will cross oceans and mountains to see us. Okay, to see Olivia.

But that's the point. She's been absolutely reveling in the revolving door of familial house guests we've had this summer, which is really bittersweet. I love to see her loving--and being loved by--her family. I love to see her building relationships that will endure through her life. But it's sad, because each visit comes to an end, one that's not punctuated with "See you next week."And while it's true, all these visits have made me a bit nostalgic for my own childhood summers filled with fun and family, I still think it's true that family is her pick this week. Love and laughter abounds and she is truly, deeply happy.

No comments: